Wednesday, September 1, 2010

On the Eve...

My foot's asleep. It wakes up about as fast as I do in the morning. It stays tingly while it decides if this is the real deal or just a false alarm. When it realizes that it really does need to get up, it thumps and tingles hard. Then it gets kinda cold. Then, like it was never asleep, it tries to get a cup of coffee. That's the weird part. So. Christmas eve. Should I capitalize eve? Does it have it's own persona, this eve? I mean, Christmas gets the big "C". That reminds me of the time when I was given a freebie on my spelling test in 5th grade. The word, for extra credit, was Christmas. I tanked it with a double s on the end. Christmass. I was the only one in the class. What an ass. No dessert for me. I had to stop at the store on my way home from work today. I needed to get some last minute stocking stuffers. This time it was lottery tickets. And a six-pack of Kona Longboard. Someone poked the freak-nest with a stick in there too. I mean, the place was filled with all the last minute shoppers. I am not one to stereotype, not generally, but the most common denominators in there were pajama bottoms and neck tattoos. I have nothing against neck ink, but it was like being at a convention of bad side - of - the - neck art. And a sleepover. I thought it was funny, many years ago, to go to the store in my plaid sleep pants. That was when they first came out and I was making a statement for comedy. I must have fit in because all I bought was lottery tickets and beer. I shoulda just took off my pants and cruised around nodding at everybody. "Oh yeah... Gonna scratch-n-sip ya'll!" Eve? Does the eve get a special nod? I mean, New Year's Eve is more important than New Year's Day - right? I have to work tomorrow. I guess I should be grateful to have a job when so many do not. Nah. Still not happy about working on the Big Day. I would love to see some family, see some friends, yuk it up a bit. I guess I will have time for that when I get home. I hope there is still some merriment to be had in the afternoon. Merry Christmass everyone. Happy Christmass Eve!

No comments: