Wednesday, September 1, 2010

A chocolate egg in his wetsuit.

So much happening. So many things to think about. I guess the job leads the pack. My company is selling out. Yup. The place I work has sold out to a competitor and is awaiting approval from the FTC. We were told about this last year, and after the state of shock we were all in about losing (or possibly losing) our jobs, morale fell through the floor. People began to pay less attention, give a substandard performance and those who weren't involved in slipshod ethics decided to just abandon ship. As the manager of this chaos, I was unable to answer the tough questions brought to me everyday. I didn't know what would happen to each individual, when it would take place, what severance would be offered and what positions would need to be staffed. I didn't even know these things for myself, let alone my employees. The rumor mill is up and running every morning at work and I walk into some doozies when I arrive. Fact of the matter is, there is more information abounding on the internet than in my corporate e-mail. I wanted to get my severance package and get out, you know, have some time to decide. The interviews were set up for last week Wednesday. I called my boss and asked her what would happen if I wasn't offered a position. She said I would receive a severance package of a month's pay and a cash equivalent of whatever vacation days I had in the bank. I figured that would be fair and told her that I wasn't interested in getting the job seeing as how the new company runs things differently. (They are open 24 hours and require the management to work hourly positions.) I am not interested in that, so I said I would like to bow out and take the cash. She said "No deal". I must apply, and be denied in order to receive any severance. So I said I would just show up to the interview and say "Don't offer me the job asshole". "That too", she said, would disqualify me. When Wednesday rolled around, I brought a resume and although I considered wearing my boxers on the outside of my pants, I dressed properly. The rest of the management team were in their Sunday best and all were quite anxious. Well, except for me. When the interviewers were late to arrive, the group got nervous. To make a long story short, they never came at all. No phone call, no e-mail, no flaming arrow into the side of our castle wall. Just crickets. To this day, or should I say to this '6th' day later, no word from their side or ours as to why no one showed. Not even an apology for the flake. My motorcycle needs a bit of attention. I have a new speedometer cable, but need to take the wheel off to put it on. I'm not so self assured about removing the wheel from a machine that goes 100 miles an hour. That could be a blameless situation if it decides to come off the next time I am going 100 miles an hour. I need some spark plugs, tires and brakes as well. It'll cost about 600 clams to do it, and at the moment, I am having separation anxiety with my cash. Especially if I don't take the job with the new company. Last time I was out of a job (before this one) I was out for 7 months. I can't do that again. Not with any intention of maintaining some semblance of sanity. The hot sun is back and I couldn't be happier! I love the grueling heat! Screw snow. Screw it dead! Next week is the anniversary of my girlfriend Holly Jean’s death. The week after that is my current girlfriend's birthday. I love them both. Yin and Yang. I did the Easter Egg Hunt for the kids a bit different this year. I always do a scavenger hunt. This year though, I did it with riddles. Here's an excerpt:
If you were in the mood for a song, and your name was Diana,
You’d pull up THIS, and play the piano.
You need to take a shower after the day has gone by,
and you need one of THESE, to get yourself dry
If you want to speak well, you need good grammar,
if you want to fix the roof, look in HERE for the hammer
When he needs to move something heavy, Bruno’s got POWER,
When he needs to get clean, He goes HERE for his SHOWER.
If you sprinkle when you tinkle, do right and clean up,
look behind HERE (it’s where the CATS take a dump)
If you want food fresh do what you’re told,
look in the DRAWER that keeps meat cold.
It’s time for your prize, oh me - oh my,
look IN the place where we get clothes dry
It was too easy I'm afraid. They burned through that shit in no time. Next year? Calculus problems. Better yet: SAW 7 - The HUNT Begins! We went to the beach yesterday, Myself, Diana and the kids. The little one rode her pink bicycle (that says "Slumber Party" down the side) and the rest of us walked. When we traversed the 5 blocks to the sand, we decided to eat. I mean, it was Easter and what else do you do on Easter? Don't they call it a feast day? We put our name on the list and took a walk on the sand for 20 minutes. When we returned, we had to sit for another 10. Then we sat at the outdoor picnic table and ordered. Amber vowed to "hook us up" as we ordered burgers and fish. 15 minutes later, the sun was almost down and the temperature dropped 10 degrees. I was getting cold. I don't do well when I get cold. My close friends know that my body likes to "shut down" when it gets cold. My internal thermostat doesn't work so good. Knowing this was about to go down, I decided to take the bike back to the house and return with the car. That way, I could bring sweatshirts and an alternative to walking home. I jumped on the teeny weeny pink bicycle and peddled my ass off. I looked like a Shriner in one of those little cars at a parade I'm sure. As I pushed through a group of kids coming home from the beach, one of them yelled "What time's the slumber party?" I yelled back "The party's in your mouth... and everyone's coming!" He was about 15 so I feel a bit awkward about that now... Anyway... When I got back, the food still wasn't there. 1/2 an hour later, it wasn't either. I asked Amber to ask the kitchen how long and make good on the "hook up". When she returned, she said the cook laughed at her. 15 more minutes later, she arrived with three of the four orders. Diana's Mahi got legs and walked away. It was cold and dark and we had been there over an hour. We told her not to worry and just divided up the booty. While we ate the two tables next to us and behind us had a drunken conversation going. Table 1 drunk chick: "Hey Andrew!" Table 3 drunk dude: "What?" Table 1 drunk chick: "I heard you shit in your wet suit today!" Table 3 drunk dude: "Ha ha! F-you!" Table 1 drunk chick: "Ha ha! F-you!" The 9 year old eating a cheeseburger across from me gave me a look as if to say "See... everybody talks like that! So why yell at me when I say it?" I looked at Diana as if to say "Should I do this? Dare I get up and bring the Bruno?" Then I thought, well, it is actually kinda funny. I don't wear a wet suit when I surf, but if I did, and I had to go while picking up outside sets, who knows? I have a day of sunshine awaiting me now. I'm out.

No comments: